APIs help to identify value. API discussions are very valuable when you think about organisational structure. Think about your organisation while reading hints below:
- Decoupled UI allows you to have different workflows while core logic stays the same
- Can use 3d party software
- Easier to delegate to non-domain experts
- Easier to communicate with other teams & hide certain complexity of specific components
- Less meetings and communication problems for technical people
- Decoupling from others. API is like a street – you set the rules and others can use it
- Simplify UI -> others can do it
- It helps to sell the product, as you are focused!
- You can give away the boring stuff and focus on what’s important
- You can construct things faster, like a LEGO!
- You can experiment faster with features
- You can experiment with business model
APIs give you technical agility and allow to grow and experiment faster – how organize a company, how to build stuff. But it’s not easy…